Watershed Patterns and the Grid
In this video we’re going to look more in depth into the watershed pattern. We will explore how the grid of property ownership interacts with the branched drainage pattern of the watershed.
- Intro to Permaculture: Watershed Patterns – Video Transcript
- Introdução a Permacultura: Padrões de Bacias Hidrográficas – Tradução Português
Patters of Soil and Water
Continuing the theme of examining how property boundaries interact with the watershed pattern, we’ll use that as the basis for exploring the interaction between how water flows and how soils are distributed. We will also look at the urban grid and discuss the problems and solutions of Permaculture design for water in urban areas.
- Intro to Permaculture: Patterns of Soil and Water – Video Transcript
- Introdução a Permacultura: Padrões do Solo e da Água – Tradução Português
Now that we have a better basis for understanding how our sites fit within the watershed boundaries and the effects of property boundary grids, we will give you the opportunity below to learn more about topography and use some of the links and tools below to illustrate and evaluate terrain.
Explore Terrain Resources
Explore terrain resources by clicking on the links below. We have provided some tools for you to use to better evaluate elevation and contours on a site. You could learn a lot if you take the time to experiment with them.
- Extra help reading contour lines + video
- US, Europe, New Zealand
- World Topo Maps
- Global Topography Maps
- Geocontext Elevation Mapping
- Mapping Support Website
- Contour Line Diagrams
- Canada and US (Zoom out until you reach Canada, click on the right hand drop down box and select “My Topo USA-Canada”)