- Suppose the president of your college or university decided to merge with or acquire another school. What schools would be good candidates for this horizontal integration move? Would the move be a success?
- Given that so many mergers and acquisitions fail, why do you think that executives keep making horizontal integration moves?
- Can you identify a struggling company that could benefit from market penetration, market development, or product development? What might you advise this company’s executives to do differently?
- Should Disney consider using retrenchment or restructuring? Why or why not?
- Given how much information is readily available about companies, why do you think investors still struggle to analyze diversified companies?
- Is market share a good dimension to use when analyzing the prospects of a business? Why or why not?
- What might executives do to keep employees within dog units motivated and focused on their jobs?